NF-POGO Training Programme 2012-2013 - Applications now being accepted
The course is aimed primarily at applicants from developing countries, but strongly-motivated applications from those in developed countries will also be considered. In order to promote networking around the world ocean, we anticipate accepting ~8 students from developing countries and ~2 students from developed countries including Japan.
-------- Original Message --------
DEADLINE NOVEMBER 20TH
This email serves a reminder that applications are now being accepted for the 2012-2013 NF-POGO Center of Excellence in Observational Oceanography training programme at Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS) in Bermuda.
You are being contacted as a participant in a previous (or current) NF-POGO sponsored event, as an adviser within the Oceanography field, or as a student or body that has expressed interest in Oceanographic training.
Full details about the program, including a link to the application form, can be found here: NF- POGO Website ( http://www.bios.edu/education/cofe.html ) This 10 month program will be offered in Bermuda for the 5th Year, starting in August 2012. Applications are due November 20th 2011.
Briefly, The goals of the Nippon Foundation (NF) - Partnership for Observations of the Global Ocean (POGO) Center of Excellence (C of E) at the Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS) are to expand world-wide capacity to observe the oceans, to develop human
resources in developing countries; to expand international networking in ocean sciences, with an emphasis on training young scientists from developing countries; and to strengthen ocean networking relations between developed and developing countries.
The availability of this Programme is subject to final funding approval by Nippon Foundation. If you are not interested in the Programme, please pass this email along to colleagues and/or peers who may be interested. If you would like to be removed from this mailing list, please reply to this email with 'DELETE' as the subject line.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at this address if you have any questions.
The Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS)
17 Biological Lane, Ferry Reach
St George, GE01
tel: 1-441-297-1880 x 115 Fax: 1-441-297-2222
The training will promote excellence in integrated, multidisciplinary oceanography on a global scale. The syllabus will include:
* Ship-board training on the R/V Atlantic Explorer - our goal is to provide numerous days at sea for each participant;
* A program that emphasizes Core Skills required by scientists (e.g., com munication skills, both written and oral, numeracy, information technology, and science management);
* Observational Oceanography training using state-of-the art instrumentation from BIOS faculty and staff involved in the eight BIOS time-series/ observatory programs;
* Observational Oceanography workshops delivered by previous NFPOGO Visiting Professors including Drs. Trevor Platt, Robert Frouin, and others; and
* Guest lectures/workshops by the numerous research scientists who visit BIOS each year for work on the R/V Atlantic Explorer.
<Application Form_On Line Version 2011-2012 available here: http://www.bios.edu/education/cofe_application_2012.doc