OCB is seeking nominations for new Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) members, including a new early career SSC member. To qualify for the early career slot, a nominee must have completed a PhD within the last 4 years; both postdoctoral researchers and faculty members are eligible. For the early career nominees who are currently postdocs, a letter of support from the nominee’s postdoctoral advisor is required in addition to the other information listed below.
The following SSC members are scheduled to rotate off at the end of 2019:
- Jessica Cross (NOAA/PMEL) – Arctic biogeochemistry, ocean acidification, inorganic carbon system
- Bethany Jenkins (URI) – marine microbial genetics and implications for biogeochemical processes in marine ecosystems
- Uta Passow (Memorial Univ.) – biological pump, particle dynamics
- Alyson Santoro (Univ. California, Santa Barbara) – microbes, nitrogen cycle, molecular (-omics) techniques
- Benjamin Twining (Bigelow) – interactions between plankton and trace metals
In addition to the expertise of those members who are rotating off, we are seeking nominations of candidates
- who study the ocean carbon cycle on longer time scales, using paleo-proxies and models to explore past changes in the ocean carbon cycle and associated marine ecological changes; and
- who study the interplay between ocean physics, biogeochemistry, and marine organisms to understand key processes involved in ocean carbon uptake and cycling across a range of time and space scales.
If you wish to nominate someone, please submit your nomination to the OCB Project Office by November 15, 2019 with the following information about your nominee:
- Name, affiliation, and email address
- Expertise as it pertains to OCB
- Abbreviated CV (2-page limit – NSF biosketch format is ideal)
- A few words speaking to the nominee’s capacity to contribute to OCB leadership, science planning, and implementation
Self-nominations are welcome! OCB SSC members serve a term of 3 years. For more information on the OCB SSC, including a list of current and previous SSC members, the SSC charge and terms of reference, and links to the past year of SSC minutes, please visit the SSC page of the OCB website.